When Should You Steam Clean Carpets?
There are opposing opinions in the carpet cleaning community (Yes, there is one) about the pros and cons of steam cleaning. Some are saying that steam carpet cleaning is bad for carpets, while others are insisting it is the best option for all carpets. In this article, we discuss the middle ground.
What is carpet steam cleaning and why is it necessary?
Steam cleaning uses heat and water to break down dirt. When paired with a vacuum cleaner, the dirt and debris is immediately removed. The heat also helps kill germs that cannot withstand that level of heat. However, it does not remove all types of germs or viruses.
We want to emphasise that as there have been many cleaners promising that they can remove viruses. At Zone Carpet Maintenance, we ensure that all cleaning is done with the proper materials that are not harmful to the household. We ensure cleanliness and safety when doing any carpet maintenance job.
When do we recommend steam cleaning carpets?
Carpets require steam cleaning to remove the dirt and debris that has accumulated from daily use. A regular vacuum can clean dust and bigger debris, but it does not remove the dirt that is stuck to the carpet fibres.
Carpet steam cleaning is also ideal for heavy duty cleaning for stains and spills. Steam carpet cleaning is also ideal for removing smells that cannot be removed by regular vacuums.
Lastly, steam cleaning is more convenient that washing carpets with water and detergent and subsequently having to dry them out in the sun.
When is steam cleaning a bad idea?
Professionally speaking, we do not recommend steam cleaning for carpets with specialty materials that can be damaged. As an example, steam cleaning is not good for carpets made from low-quality plastic materials as they can melt.
It is also not recommended to steam clean antique carpets as the materials have become fragile throughout the years. For that, we recommend that you treat antique carpets as works of art that need the proper expertise from restorationists.
Otherwise, any standard carpet can be steam cleaned by Zone Carpet Maintenance Systems.
When is it okay not to steam clean?
Not everyone can afford to steam clean their carpets daily, which is why we recommend that homeowners vacuum their carpets daily. That way, they can ensure that their home is kept clean.
For stains, you can remove them yourself using the proper cleaning chemicals. If you do not have time, you can opt to get steam cleaning services immediately.
Steam cleaning is done every three months or once a month, depending on the situation. For example, pet owners usually request a monthly service due to the nature of their furry friends.
We hope this article has given you an idea of the benefits of steam cleaning carpets as well as when it is not necessary. We always support the needs of our clients and we want to share the right processes so that you get the most out of your services.
For inquiries about our steam carpet cleaning services, visit our contact page.
An In-Depth Guide to Carpet Care in Australia
One factor that adds to great interior design is a good flooring. Aside from looking great, a floor with a nice carpet is also comfortable.
If you want the best result for your carpet, you must find a professional to install it. This way, you do not run the risk of having some bad spots that may lead to frustration.
But one thing that you must keep in mind when having carpet around your home is the care and maintenance. It is no secret how hard it is to clean the carpet. It takes a lot of time and effort especially if it accumulated stain over time.
The good thing about it is that you can do something to keep your carpet. All you need to do it to follow this simple guide so that you will have a sparkly clean carpet.
Here is a handy guide for you to follow when you have carpet in your home.
Prevention is the Best Care
You will encounter some dirt and spillage on your carpet one way or another. But you can minimize the effect by proactively doing something. Here are some things you can do to care for your carpet.
- A good underlay is the foundation of an easy to clean carpet. These come in a variety of materials. These include polyurethane, sponge rubber, crumb rubber, or a felt/crumb rubber combination.
Underlays help keep your carpet from getting damaged by heavy footsteps or any impact by acting as a shock absorber. It will also add life to your carpet by raising it uniformly.
- A simple mat can make a difference. Place outside and inside the door and ask everyone who enters your home to wipe their shoes on it. It does not only foster good manners; it will also keep the soil away from your carpet.
- Move heavy furniture around regularly. This prevents damage from pile crushing to the carpet. You can also put coasters underneath chair and table legs to distribute the weight evenly.
- Put up curtains in rooms where there is direct sunlight. This will prevent the premature discoloration of the carpet.
If you have carpeted flooring, a good vacuum is your best friend. You can use this for a variety of purposes and keep your carpet happy while installed on your floor. Here are some general tips in vacuuming.
- Get a good quality vacuum. As the vacuum is essential in keeping the beauty of your carpet. A good quality one will also last a long time and will perform well whenever you use it.
- Different types of vacuums for different carpets. Use an upright or barrel type vacuum for thinner carpets. Vacuums with higher beater bars are good for thicker carpets.
- For luxurious carpets, use a luxurious vacuum. You should match the vacuum to the needs of your carpet. If it has thick and soft attributes, then you should have a vacuum with adjustable height and suction power, large wheels, and efficient airflow. There are plenty of benefits to having this type of vacuum for your carpet.
- Extensively use it. Schedule a weekly vacuum of your carpet even if there is no visible dirt on it. With the structure of the carpet, it may have accumulated a lot of dirt and soil underneath. Caring for your carpet will amount to how long the beauty and the function will last.
This is one of the critical things that you should do if you encounter spillage on your carpet. What is important about this step is to do it as soon as possible to save the carpet from permanent damage.
You should be aware that spot cleaning for different types of carpet vary so it pays to know what method will work best for yours.
Steam Carpet Cleaning
You should make sure to steam clean your carpet once every 12 to 18 months. This is a job for professionals. While you may do it DIY style, professionals can do it better and keep you from exerting too much effort.
The goal of steam cleaning is to remove bacteria build-up and any unwanted dirt that vacuum cleaners cannot pick up.
Aside from looking good, a well-cared-for carpet will be hygienic and will last a long time. In this in-depth guide to caring for your carpet, we discussed some of the best ways to care for your carpet.
If you have other thoughts and methods of cleaning, let us know in the comments below or by sending an email.
Types of Vacuum Cleaners for Carpets
Having carpets around the house is a great way to make it look sophisticated and modern. But this also comes with the responsibility of maintaining the carpet from time to time.
This is a fact which is why you should have a good vacuum cleaner with you always on standby to help you clean out whatever may fall on it. It is essential to use the right vacuum cleaner so that you can maintain your carpets and rugs efficiently.
Not all vacuum cleaners are made equal. Each type has specific features that can be useful or overkill for the type of carpet or rug you own.
To help you choose the right machine for you, here are the types of vacuum cleaners available and where they work best.
These are designed to work best on hard surfaces like hardwood floors and tiles. They work best on small carpets like the ones for stairs and outdoors which make them great for multi-surface use.
The identifying factor for these is the suction hose and retractable cord which helps in moving around the home. It has a separate unit for motor and receptacle. So, maintenance and replacement of parts are relatively easy.
If your whole house is carpeted, an upright vacuum is required. These are mostly made with heavy-duty machines which can work around the house easily.
Upright vacuums are equipped with a motor-driven brush that helps loosen dirt for easier suction. They sometimes don’t have bags, but most designs come with a bag where dirt is stored.
From the name itself, these are small enough to be carried around. These are often used in cars and small areas. These do not have the same power as upright or canister vacuums, but they merit it on their portability.
Sometimes, these are battery operated or can be plugged in the car. They can handle small spills and small dirt easily.
If you want something the convenience of a handheld vacuum and the strength of an upright vacuum, then the stick vacuum is for you. It is portable but it has a powerful suction power.
These are great as a secondary vacuum which you can use to clean up small spills or dirt. They are mostly used in kitchens, bathroom floors, and other small areas.
Deep Cleaner Vacuum
These are mostly used by professional cleaners because of the way they clean the carpets. These use steam and warm water to remove spot stains and to treat the carpet.
Deep cleaner vacuums are also referred to as carpet extractors and carpet shampooers because they clean the surfaces using liquids in addition to the suction. They brush and clean up the carpet removing stain and washing it at the same time.
For families with pets in their homes, their hair is a big problem especially if you have carpet around the house. This problem is resolved using a special vacuum that can pick up pet hair without clogging. It can also help reduce the odour of pets in the house making it an essential maintenance tool for your home.
This is one of those that have a cult following. While not necessarily the strongest vacuum cleaner, it is another option for you because it can keep your house clean even when you’re away.
There are innovations nowadays for these like scheduling and automatic recharge. Some units also have strong suction power. Who knows what other innovations there will be for these automatic vacuums?
Another consideration: with bag or bagless
You should also keep in mind where your vacuum will store the dirt it picks up. Some vacuums have bags. These are replaceable and can hold more dirt than bagless ones. Neither one is better than the other so it's up to your preference which one you will use.
The type of vacuum cleaner should match your carpet. If it has short fibres, then debris and dirt can be lifted easily and if it has longer pills, you will need a vacuum with strong sucking power and a roller brush to clean it thoroughly.
What’s important is that you schedule regular cleaning for your carpet for it to last a long time.
Spot Cleaning Methods
Sometimes, regular cleaning is not enough to remove the stain on carpets. If there is a speck of persistent dirt that doesn’t get removed no matter how much you clean it, it may be time for spot cleaning.
What is spot cleaning?
Spot cleaning is when you focus on one area where the stain is concentrated. It is usually done on drips or stains made by hard to remove liquid or materials.
It is usually done on clothing, but it also applies to carpets. The key is to know what type of material your carpet is and what the stain is. This way you can use the right cleaning method and prevent bigger problems from arising.
General Spot Cleaning for Carpets
Cleaning carpets is essentially the same with almost any type of material. But that doesn’t mean that this will be effective on everything. However, some stains may need extra care and attention to be removed.
Here is the first remedy you can do for the carpet that has been stained.
- Use a dull knife. No, don’t cut the stained part! Use it to remove any solid matter from the carpet fibre. This will prevent it from seeping deeper into the fabric.
- Use a paper towel or white cloth to lift and remove any moisture as much as possible.
- Follow the proper procedure for removing the specific stain. We’ll discuss this in the following section.
- Work the stain from the edge to the centre. This will prevent the stain from further spreading.
- Don’t use a lot of cleaning products or moisture as much as possible.
- Let it dry in the air. Don’t use any heat gun or direct heat as it might melt the fibres.
How to remove different stains on your carpet
You will need to have a carpet stain removal kit. This will comprise of the following:
- White towels
- White paper towels
- Plain clean water
- Soapy water (using a little dishwashing liquid)
- 3% hydrogen peroxide
- Rubbing alcohol
- Denatured alcohol
- White vinegar
- Cotton swabs
- Cotton balls
- Dull knife
- Wet and Dry Vacuum
Here’s what you should use for different stains:
This is one of the most usual stains on carpets. Time is of the essence when cleaning this stain.
- Using the paper towel, blot up the stain.
- Do not rub or press it, let the towel pick it up.
These include ketchup and other condiments. Like most stains, time is key to reducing the damage it can do to your carpet.
- Do not use a paper towel yet. Use the knife and scrape off any loose stain that is on the surface.
- Then soak your paper towel with ammonia and use it to blot the stain.
- Don’t reuse the paper towel. Use a fresh one every time until you remove all the stain.
This is a hard stain to remove so you will need a little more patience with it.
- If the stain is fresh, use a light-coloured rag to blot out the ink as much as possible.
- Then put a small amount of denatured alcohol and use a clean towel to clean again.
- If the ink has seeped into the carpet, pour a small amount of denatured alcohol again, and then use the toothbrush to pull it up. Then use a paper towel again to clean it up.
- Use the vacuum to clean up the rest. Repeat as needed.
These are tough stains which can be from lipstick and other materials. It can be tricky to remove them, but you can do it with proper procedure and patience.
- Put some rubbing alcohol on clean white towels.
- Rub the stain in one direction so that you can lift the stain without it spreading.
- If any stain goes under that carpet fibres, use cotton swabs soaked in the rubbing alcohol to remove them.
Cleaning a carpet is a hard task. But knowing that you can keep it looking good by following these spot cleaning methods, you will save your beautiful carpet and keep it looking nice for a long time.