An In-Depth Guide to Carpet Care in Australia
One factor that adds to great interior design is a good flooring. Aside from looking great, a floor with a nice carpet is also comfortable.
If you want the best result for your carpet, you must find a professional to install it. This way, you do not run the risk of having some bad spots that may lead to frustration.
But one thing that you must keep in mind when having carpet around your home is the care and maintenance. It is no secret how hard it is to clean the carpet. It takes a lot of time and effort especially if it accumulated stain over time.
The good thing about it is that you can do something to keep your carpet. All you need to do it to follow this simple guide so that you will have a sparkly clean carpet.
Here is a handy guide for you to follow when you have carpet in your home.
Prevention is the Best Care
You will encounter some dirt and spillage on your carpet one way or another. But you can minimize the effect by proactively doing something. Here are some things you can do to care for your carpet.
- A good underlay is the foundation of an easy to clean carpet. These come in a variety of materials. These include polyurethane, sponge rubber, crumb rubber, or a felt/crumb rubber combination.
Underlays help keep your carpet from getting damaged by heavy footsteps or any impact by acting as a shock absorber. It will also add life to your carpet by raising it uniformly.
- A simple mat can make a difference. Place outside and inside the door and ask everyone who enters your home to wipe their shoes on it. It does not only foster good manners; it will also keep the soil away from your carpet.
- Move heavy furniture around regularly. This prevents damage from pile crushing to the carpet. You can also put coasters underneath chair and table legs to distribute the weight evenly.
- Put up curtains in rooms where there is direct sunlight. This will prevent the premature discoloration of the carpet.
If you have carpeted flooring, a good vacuum is your best friend. You can use this for a variety of purposes and keep your carpet happy while installed on your floor. Here are some general tips in vacuuming.
- Get a good quality vacuum. As the vacuum is essential in keeping the beauty of your carpet. A good quality one will also last a long time and will perform well whenever you use it.
- Different types of vacuums for different carpets. Use an upright or barrel type vacuum for thinner carpets. Vacuums with higher beater bars are good for thicker carpets.
- For luxurious carpets, use a luxurious vacuum. You should match the vacuum to the needs of your carpet. If it has thick and soft attributes, then you should have a vacuum with adjustable height and suction power, large wheels, and efficient airflow. There are plenty of benefits to having this type of vacuum for your carpet.
- Extensively use it. Schedule a weekly vacuum of your carpet even if there is no visible dirt on it. With the structure of the carpet, it may have accumulated a lot of dirt and soil underneath. Caring for your carpet will amount to how long the beauty and the function will last.
This is one of the critical things that you should do if you encounter spillage on your carpet. What is important about this step is to do it as soon as possible to save the carpet from permanent damage.
You should be aware that spot cleaning for different types of carpet vary so it pays to know what method will work best for yours.
Steam Carpet Cleaning
You should make sure to steam clean your carpet once every 12 to 18 months. This is a job for professionals. While you may do it DIY style, professionals can do it better and keep you from exerting too much effort.
The goal of steam cleaning is to remove bacteria build-up and any unwanted dirt that vacuum cleaners cannot pick up.
Aside from looking good, a well-cared-for carpet will be hygienic and will last a long time. In this in-depth guide to caring for your carpet, we discussed some of the best ways to care for your carpet.
If you have other thoughts and methods of cleaning, let us know in the comments below or by sending an email.